- >Price Check: Ethereum Smashes $3,000 Barrier with New All-Time High
Price Check: Ethereum Smashes $3,000 Barrier with New All-Time High
Ethereum, not Bitcoin, is the story this week, as it has broken into new territory, reaching an all time high of $3.2k earlier today. At the same time, Bitcoin has done well for itself and has clawed its way back to over $57k after being below $55k for much of the last week. Not to be outdone, Binance Coin has also has a very strong week and is sitting at an all-time high for price as well, and many other assets that are part of both ecosystems have hit new highs too as we will soon see.
It seems the bull market is back in full effect.
Evan Jones | May 3, 2021
In this weekly segment we will be looking at the top gainers and losers of the week. This will be done in terms of dollar value with a focus on percentage gains of coins within the top 100 by market capitalization. The fast growth of the crypto and blockchain industry in 2021 means that there are more assets than ever that deserve attention and are experiencing notable gains and losses.
Each week we will also take a look at Bitcoin’s performance, and how it has performed both compared to last year at this time, and its comparative performance to the Dow Jones and S&P 500 Index.
Let us look at the biggest winners and losers of the past week.
Biggest Dollar Increases
With Bitcoin rising back up it has brought most boats up as a rising tide does, and we have an extremely green market to work with this week, and there are actually only 3 decreases in the top 100, so this will be an expanded section this week.
As mentioned in the introduction, Ethereum and Binance Coin hit new all-time highs, and as a result many assets in their ecosystems have had good weeks as well. Here are the biggest gainers from the past week:
- Ethereum (ETH), ranked 2nd, has gained over 26% after gaining 15% last week and it is trading at just under $3.2k a piece. ETH hit a new all time high of $3.2k earlier today.
- Binance Coin (BNB), ranked 3rd, has gained over 23% after gaining about 6% last week and is trading around $663.08 a piece. BNB hit an all time high of $665 earlier today.
- Ripple (XRP), ranked 4th, has gained a little over 23% and it is trading around $1.55 a piece.
- Dogecoin (DOGE), ranked 5th, has gained almost 55% after losing 25% last week and it is now trading around 41.5 cents a piece.
- Uniswap (UNI), ranked 9th, has gained just under 25% and is trading around $43.43 a piece. It hit an all time high of $44.97 earlier today.
- Neo (NEO), ranked 21st, has gained just about 27% and is trading around $108.29 a piece.
- PancakeSwap (CAKE), ranked 25th, has gained about 30% after gaining over 41% last week and is trading around $42.35 a piece. CAKE hit an all time high of about $45 a few days ago.
- Bitcoin SV (BSV), ranked 26th, has gained about 39% and it is trading around $366 a piece.
- Aave (AAVE), ranked 27th, has gained over 28% after gaining 10% last week and it is trading around $514.23 a piece.
- Ethereum Classic (ETC), ranked 31st, has gained over 53% and is trading around $48.73 a piece. ETC hit an all time high of $50 earlier today.
- Maker (MKR), ranked 32nd, has gained over 38% after gaining 17% last week and is trading around $5,503.58 a piece. Hit an all time high of $5.6k earlier today.
- Huobi Token (HT), ranked 34th, has gained just under 50% and the native token of Huobi Exchange is trading around $26.87 a piece.
- Avalanche (AVAX), ranked 39th, has gained just about 32% and it is trading around $33.69 a piece.
- Polygon (MATIC), ranked 41st, has gained over 57% after gaining 55% last week and is trading at just over 80 cents a piece. 94 cent all time high a few days ago.
- Compound (COMP), ranked 42nd, has gained over 20% after gaining 35% last week and it is trading around $802 a piece. ATH of just under $900 earlier today.
- Waves (WAVES), ranked 46th, has gained just about 95% after gaining 35% last week and it is trading around $32.71 a piece. Biggest gainer in the top 50. ATH of $36 earlier.
- Zilliqa (ZIL), ranked 57th, has gained 34% and it is trading around 21 cents a piece.
- OKB (OKB), ranked 59th, has gained a whopping 114% and the native token of OKEx is trading around $36.78 a piece. 2nd biggest gainer in the top 100. Hit ATH of $44 yesterday.
- Famtom (FTM), ranked 72nd, has gained over 80% and it is trading around 72 cents a piece.
- Ontology (ONT), ranked 76th, has gained 28% after losing the same amount last week and is trading around $1.95 a piece.
- SwissBorg (CHSB), ranked 82nd, has gained over 37% and it is trading around $1.47 a piece.
- Nano (NANO), ranked 84th, has gained over 23% after losing 16% last week and is trading around $10.23 a piece.
- BakeryToken (BAKE), ranked 86th, has gained a ridiculous 409% and the NFT platform token on the Binance Smart Chain is now trading around $6.94 a piece. Biggest gainer in the entire top 100. ATH of just under $8.50 yesterday.
- Venus (XVS), ranked 90th, has gained over 81% and the lending platform built on the Binance Smart Chain is now trading around $127.65 a piece.
Biggest Dollar Decreases
With Bitcoin recovering nicely and Ethereum and other big assets hitting new all-time highs we actually only have 3 assets in the red for the entire top 100. Here are the biggest losers from the past week:
- Klaytn (KLAY), ranked 30th, has lost just under 1% this week and it is trading around $2.38 a piece.
- Horizen (ZEN), ranked 86th, has lost just under 2% after gaining almost 30% last week and is trading around $119.69 a piece.
- Celo (CELO), ranked 89th, has lost a little over 1% after gaining 44% last week and it is trading around $5.63 a piece.
Bitcoin Back to $60k?
Bitcoin has continued to recover over the past week after hitting below $50k just two weeks ago. Now with the momentum of Ethereum and other big market cap assets one has to wonder whether Bitcoin will move sideways for a while allowing other assets to make gains, or if it is headed back to $60k and a new high sooner than later. Of course, it could always just fall down again, which is always key to keep in mind.
Bitcoin is currently trading at about $57.5k, still beyond outdoing its price from this time last year. On May 3, 2020, Bitcoin was trading at just under $8.9k, so it is about 6x higher than it was last year at this time.
Bitcoin Back to Beating Traditional Markets
Bitcoin was able to gain a little over 8% this week, recovering from its dip two weeks ago, and now it is back to outperforming the traditional markets. The Dow Jones Industrial Average gained just about 0.5% over the past week and the S&P 500 Index gained even less with just 0.16% over the past week. Needless to say, Bitcoin performed much better and seems to be more and more mainstream.